Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Michael Lee

Default Koi or Goldfish???

Ed J wrote:

Thanks for the answers.....

Ed J

There seems to be a lot of information and misinformation about the
difference between Koi and goldfish. I want to add my $.02 worth, because
I have spent the last 15 years with both in my ponds. I am skipping all
the mumbo-jumbo about species, etc because it has already been said, and
I don't know that stuff anyway. I can only go on personal experience.

For one, it sounds like you are trying to get some kind of natural
balance to a dead pond, and are not interested in the 'pet' quality of
the fish. To that, I say go for the gold.

Goldfish are a LOT cheaper.

Goldfish are a lot hardier than the Koi. Whenever I have had a problem
with the pond, the Koi will go first.

The Goldfish breed like sex-starved teenagers. We have never seen a Koi
fry.

Koi will live to 70 years, goldfish will live to ~ 7 years.

Koi will continue to grow throughout their lives, goldfish will stop when
they have reached some kind of God's formula of pond size vs. fish size.

Koi develop personalities more than goldfish. In our whole pond with
about 70 fish, the only ones that we have named are the Koi. In fact, we
are moving at the end of the month, and guess which fish we are
relocating?

Hope that helps.