Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

Default delphiniums

It might be that your climate is also not hospitable for delphiniums. Do
other people in your area grow them?Where they are hardy and conditions are
to their liking, delphiniums are easy to grow, although usually not
long-lived. (This includes, surprisingly, large swaths of Alaska, so cold is
obviously not an issue for them). If your climate is too humid, and has a
lot of warm-to-hot summer nights, failure is almost certain. Also, slugs
will find young delphiniums and chew them to the ground nightly, if given
half a chance. Many people simply opt for buying an inexpensive pack of them
in spring at the garden center.
"Françoise" wrote in message
.. .
Bill,

I have tried to grow delphiniums for the past 3 years without success. A
couple would germinate, but would be dead by the time to be planted.
This year, one grew high enough during winter to be planted in spring,
survived for a month only. So still no delphinium in my garden.

I am successful with almost anything else. In May this year, I planted
more than 500 plants (annuals and perennials), seeded during winter in
the house. All are thriving.

Françoise.

billq wrote:

hello,
I have been trying to grow delphiniums from seed since early this
spring. I
bought seeds from a local hardware store. Both the Pacific Giants and

the
Connecticut yankees. I tried 2 different attemps to seed in my garden
and 1
round in planters inside. Absolutely nothing germinated. I generally

have
no problem growing anything. Could the seeds be bad from the seed

company
or is there some secret that I am missing?
thanks Bill