Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default Dwarf crabapple

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
I'd like to start work on a bonsai dwarf crabapple. Do any of you have an
idea of which variety to use?

I have a Malus 'Indian Summer,' grown on its own roots and

purchased from
Bonsai West in Massachusetts.. It is disease resistant and has beautiful
lavender flowers.
I bought it in 1999. I had it in the ground for a year and a half. I had to
thread graft a branch. Last year it started looking good. This year it bloomed
but did not set fruit.

I have to agree with Iris that there's nothing wrong with a non-dwarf
crabapple, as long as it has small leaves. I have 'Indian magic' (no
doubt a sister cultivar to yours, Iris). It is disease resistant (a
very important point with crabapples) and purty as a picture. I have
no problems keeping the internodes short.

Nina