Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Peat Moss Substitute?

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:16:29 UTC, (Al Dykes) opined:

I think a prior message claimes that grass, leaves and wood chips would
draw nitrogen. Did I get that right ?

It takes nitrogen to rot those things, but the nitrogen doesn't disappear in
the process.

In forests, fallen trees decay, taking up nitrogen, but the rotted product
contains nitrogen that nourishes new growth.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.