Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Gale Pearce

Default String algae & water quality issues

Hi BV - I always considered it good stuff, although not very good looking as
it is supposed to help with filtration like plants do, so in past years I've
just hosed it off when it got excessive - usually a couple of times a
season, but this year it builds up like a mat in the stream and on the
waterfall in a few days slowing down the waterfall and plugging up the
stream until it leaks over the edge. I have been pulling it out by the
handfulls every 2 to 3 days - The only real difference I can think of this
year has been the constant rainfall up until last week, Maybe this has been
adding nutrients in large amounts that this stuff thrives on. If so, as the
weather gets drier it should abate some
Gale :~)
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
I am at my witt's end these days. The string algae is incredible. It's
completely taken over the stream

snip

I have been a bit neglectful of the pond lately, and yesterday I noticed

my
stream is filling with string algae. So far the VF and the main pond are
just fine, crystal gin clear to the bottom. So I am starting to
wonder...maybe SA is not so bad when in the right place?

BV.