Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default new pond full of snails and tadpoles

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
My pond has been filled with water for about 3 months. The string algae
is all gone and the water is fairly clear. It is about 15'x45'x3' to 4'
deep with vertical sides. It is spring fed and has no filter. It
filled up in one day. The water temperature is now up to 80F. It has
submerged plants and marginal plants on tables around the sides. It has
water lillies that are doing great. I bought 6 trap door snails to help
with the water quality. Now it is full of small snails and tadpoles. Is
this normal? Even the water thermometer has a snail inside the vial.
There are tadpoles attached to most plant pots, the sides where moss was
growing and swimming everywhere. The tadpoles came from frogs that were
living there before we drained and cleaned the pond. Will the rapid
increase in snail and tadpoles stabilize with no problems or should I be
doing something.

As Costner once said, "If you build it..."

BV.