Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Default pumpkins

"kathleen syson" wrote in message ...
I've been asked by a friend if pumpkins can be grown in a large pot; and
I've absolutely no idea as I've never grown any! Any suggestions? Is it
also correct that to remove all but one or two per plant will encourage a
large fruit?

Yes on both counts.
The problem is that a Pumpkin plants gets quite large and take up a lot of
room, they need a lot of feeding and a compost that retains moisture. When
big, a couple of days without the pot being watered and your friend would
have a problem.
My own experience is that pumpkin plants seem to abort the rest after
setting a couple of fruit, but, yes, take off any others once you have a
couple of good fruit growing.

--
Regards
Bob