Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
pat

Default Lawn is dying, why?

Jim:
I noticed the pine tree in pics do you remove the dead needles/thatch
from yard affect soil ph etc also how much sun does it get daily,
looks like you water. Also ask guy across street what he is doing
different from you as his looks fairly good fert mow height. Would
think if bug problem he would have also or treats to prevent. The
question is what is different on other side road.

Good luck

Pat R

\

"Jim Sullivan" wrote in message ...
"Eric" wrote in message
Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little
worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Judging by the pictures, you're using the wrong tense. Your lawn isn't
dying, it's dead. Anything you do now, without understanding why this lawn
is dead, is, IMHO a waste of time.

My first reaction to this was insects/bugs, since there are significant dead
patches. It would also fit the getting worse each year. There are a
variety of tests for insects, most common is to get a coffee can, cut both
ends off, stick it in the lawn, fill it with water and see what floats to
the surface.

My second reaction is what have you been doing for the past 4 years to let
is get to this state? Where it may have been easy to fix a few years ago,
it's pretty serious now and could mean a complete re-sod/re-seed. Nows the
time to find a reliable and knowledge landscape person and get their
professional opinion.