Old 30-01-2003, 08:51 PM
KenCo

Default Pipe Size

BenignVanilla wrote:

Is it better to over size your pipe or undersize your pipe?

Here is my predicament.

I am slowly working on my plan for my pond now, but I can expect I will have
it dug before I am ready to buy the pumps and other gear. I plan to shop
around a bit. So I want to run the pipes for the skimmer and the bottom
drain, etc., but if I have not decided on a pump yet, I figured this would
be a problem.

Should I just run twin 2 inch PVC pipes and use both if I need the 4 inches
of bandwidth, and cap one if I don't?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

1st, 2"+2" doesnt = 4"
a 2.25" or 2.5" would be fine.

in pipe sizing the next step up is close to
double the cap.
i.e. a 1.5" pipe is 1/2 the cap. of a 2"

doubters:
take a 12" piece of ea. (capped at 1 end and
fill the smaller w/ water, then pour it into
the next size. surprising huh?

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.