Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Françoise

Default delphiniums

I live in Canada where we have deep freeze in winter. I have seen
delphiniums around here before. Next fall, I am going to seed some in
the ground and see what will happen. If I fail, that will be it for
delphinium. If they grow but are kill because of our hot summer, again,
that will be it!!!

Scabiosa is another flower that does not seem to like me.

Françoise.

gregpresley wrote:

It might be that your climate is also not hospitable for delphiniums. Do
other people in your area grow them?Where they are hardy and
conditions are
to their liking, delphiniums are easy to grow, although usually not
long-lived. (This includes, surprisingly, large swaths of Alaska, so
cold is
obviously not an issue for them). If your climate is too humid, and has a
lot of warm-to-hot summer nights, failure is almost certain. Also, slugs
will find young delphiniums and chew them to the ground nightly, if given
half a chance. Many people simply opt for buying an inexpensive pack
of them
in spring at the garden center.