Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 AM
William Valavanis

Default [IBC] Leaf cutting

Alan:

I think it is important to remove almost all of the leaf petiole when
leaf cutting deciduous species. The base of the petiole is sometimes
left to avoid damaging the new bud which will develop in the leaf axil.
If the entire leaf is carelessly removed the small bud may be damaged,
so it is best to leave just a "little" of the leaf petiole.

Now, I have discovered that if one "cuts the leaf blade in half" to
avoid stressing the tree, or being lazy and not removing the entire
leaf blade will not be effective in the purpose of defoliation. What
happens is that the leaf will continue to grow, rather than shed and
encourage a new flush of growth.

Also, another purpose of defoliation is to intensify autumn coloring
and to enjoy the brilliant new spring growth color in summer. Right now
I have a bright red Japanese maple in full spring coloring which is a
sharp contrast to my many other green Japanese maples.

Good luck!

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++