Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Leggy Petunias

(Alastair) wrote in news:21821ac8.0407062351.c665905
@posting.google.com:

My petunias in my hanging baskets have been flowering well, and my
wife and I have deadheaded them regularly to continue flowering.
However they are starting to get a bit leggy so I was wondering about
trimming them back.
I recently trimmed back my pansies (winter ones that have flowered all
through spring and early summer) and they have taken on a new lease of
life. Will petunias behave the same way?

Only one way to find out ;-)

Use the chopped off bits as cuttings - if you root them now, they should be
decent plants by the autumn, and give you a bit of a show then, even if the
first frosts will eventually put an end to it.

I have found some petunias (eg 'million bells') can be perennial if
protected from frost, but it's hard to keep them looking good - they seem
to do better propagated from cuttings than kept on the same roots longterm.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall