Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Leaf cutting

Sure. That's why you don't PULL the leaves off and why you
always leave at least a stub of the petiole (leaf stem) on. But
the descriptions on partial leaf cutting that I recall were aimed
at doing less than full stripping (and at those broad-leafed
trees that [supposedly] didn't take to having all of their leaves
removed.)

Anyway, I've tried it on trees with very short petioles which
allegedly one shouldn't strip and have seen no benefit; neither
did the leaves fall off as new ones were produced -- because new
ones were NOT produced. I was stuck with a half-leaved tree for
the remainder of the growing season. I left from 1/2 to 1/3 of
the leaf on the branches; maybe I needed to just leave a tiny bit
of the leaf, but ever since I've just defoliated all deciduous,
broad-leafed trees, leaving a bit of petiole -- which ALL
broad-leaf leaves have.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Jim: My understanding of the benefit of only cutting part of the
leaf was simply to prevent damage to the axillary buds under the
petioles.

Alan Walker