Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Default submerged plant identification

Hi Kathy - Since there is no Nobel Peace Prize for aqua culture
identification at stake I am happy to call it Mares Tail. It might even be
that most pictures dont look exactly like it because it is a slight variety.
I noticed somewhere it was described as being indigenous to Central North
America not the South. Certainly a stretch but perhaps it has somehow cross
breed with pine trees growing over lakes to give it that pine tree like look
and those teensie pine cone like top growths. I know it was growing in
shade, so perhaps the distinctive sparseness is just indicative of poorer
growing conditions. I cant find it now but I am relatively certain that the
plant WAS identified as Mares Tail. That's how I found that post - in a
search more Mares Tail not mystery plant I have definitely spent too much
time on a small 'inquiring minds want to know' question. And YOU, you
definitely deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for beyond the call of duty. Alas
they dont have that category yet either. I will definitely be the first to
submit your effort if they ever do. A cool million would buy a few more
pond plants wouldnt it Till that happens please accept my thanks once
again.
Have Fun!!
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

ps - yes it is emergent. I found a piece that had a clear root system at
the base. Nothing to rival a WH but much more than the thin strands you
might see on parrots feather. Oops - I guess I could have described that
with a picture as well. Nah - lets put this one to bed.