Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Oljuska

Default [IBC] Leaf cutting

Michael,

Would you please write in more detail about Japanese Maple bud removals. When it should be done? Is there a special technique?

Thank you,
Olga
Toronto, Canada

Michael Persiano wrote:
In a message dated 7/7/2004 2:25:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, April1201 writes:

I'd like to know the benefits of cutting the leaves in the summer. A couple
books I have recommend either taking the leaves off all together in late July
or cutting them in half or cutting two thirds of each leaf off. It's suppose
to encourage smaller leaves to develope, thus reducing your leaf size each
year. I've done that every year but last year and am deciding if I'll do it
this year.

Friend:

Leaf cutting can be used for several purposes:

1. To reduce leaf size, if necessary
2. To slow growth in leaf pruned branches and to encourage growth in others.
3. To produce new leaves and improve appearance

As a general rule, only leaf prune healthy, vigorous specimens.

Also, do not confuse leaf cutting with bud removals, such as that which is done with Japanese Maples to improve ramifications.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
hometown.aol.com/iasnob--The Home of Yamamori, Guardian Spirit of the Mountain

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++