Old 08-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Clivia/Kaffir Lily

In article ,
It's Mac wrote:

I have a kaffir lily which has been in my sitting room for the last couple
of years.

That is Clivia not Schizostylis, I assume?

Recently I read in a book it should be summered outdoors and watered/fed
thoroughly during this period.

So I gave it good soaking and put it in my £20 plastic "greenhouse" about a
week ago. I just had a look at it and many of the top leaves have turned
yellow, almost white, and they're very floppy. In short it looks like I've
killed it.

Any ideas on how to save it? Should I bring it back indoors? How I wish I'd
never read that book.

Boggle. My guess would be a combination of lush growth, overheating
and waterlogging. When the book says outside, it means just that;
those plants do perfectly well on a patio in the summer IF the
soil/compost is sufficiently free-draining, they get plenty of light,
and they are not dried out too much.

But that is a wild guess, as the symptoms are not any I have seen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.