Old 08-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Rooting hormones

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"David Hill" wrote in

message
Like many others I also use rooting powder, and even if it does

no
good I am
sure that the fungicide in the powder does do some good.

Putting together Jane and Davids notes, it sounds as if the best
regime is not to use a hormone at all, but to just dip the cutting
into a fungicide like Benlate.

Franz, are you taking cuttings on a massive scale or do you just

want a
few to replace stuff you have / give to friends?

The latter. Mainly to maintain and on occasion increase my stock of
this and that.

Because, if it is the
latter, don't waste your money on chemicals!! I take cuttings every

year
from dozens of my plants, never use chemicals of any sort, and

always
end up with far too many plants. I can't bear to put the excess on

the
compost heap so the poor things end up in a cold frame, getting root
bound and eventually dying off (((((((

I'll do it systematically this year. Some with hormone, some with
hormone and Benlate, some with Benlate and some without anything.
My statistice won't be wonderful, but it will be interesting to see
the outcome.

Franz