Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Pond Newbie

Default submerged plant identification

Bill-

Email me the picture and I will put it up on the server for you, and send you back a link.

DeAnna

--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
Sorry, I will figure out how to post pix one of these days. A little more
of the thousand words I didnt say. Looking at the hornwort picture - It has
a main stem then little branches with clumps of fine leaves/spines. This
has no branches. Imagine just one of those fine spines growing from the
much more substantial stem. They are quite stiff and do not lose form like
the Cabomba (sp?) or probably hornwort would. And whereas the hornwort
appears to have 5 or 10 spines growing from virtually the same spot, mystery
plant has but one, then an eighth of a inch or so in all directions another.
Thanxx
Bill Brister
"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
om...
That was my first guess till I saw a picture. The 'needles' are similar

but
much sparser, much stiffer and are only growing from the base stem. Do

not
how to describe it. If this was a pothos ivy you would have the main stem
then a little stem growing off that connected to the leaf. This has the
nice substantial main stem (1/4" round or so) but the individual needles
grow only from it, and although growing relatively symetrical all around

the
stem, each 'needle' is probably 1/8" or so from the next. The stem looks
very similar to the parrots feather and is much larger than the pic of the
hornwort. Would you like to try the Aquatic Plants for $200 square?
Thanxx
Bill Brister

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Hmmmm,
I'll guess first and guess hornwort.
check this picture
http://www.grumpyspond.com/pics/hornwort.jpg
and see if it matches.

Subject: submerged plant identification
Hi all - I was recently given some parrots feather. Mixed in with it is
other plants which look very similar at the stem but the leaves are very
thin 3/4 - 1" needles growing all around the stem. No 'branches'.They

are
not bunched together in any way. Just fine thin needles, not very dense,
growing all around the base stem. Similar to needles on a pine tree but
thinner. This is probably a common submerged plant. Can you tell me

what
it
is?
Thanxx