Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Vining veggies

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Brigitte J. said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

All the (non-bush) cucurbits can be trellised. For squash, melons, and
watermelons you will need to provide some sort of support for the

fruit.
Where I used to live I grew all of my melons and squash on trellises.

How did you suppose the melons and squash? I'm imagining shelfs on the
trellis...?

Shelves made of chicken wire for the larger squash and watermelons and

slings
made of old hose for the melons. The 'shelves' were supported by the wire

fence
mesh I ran between the main supports of the trellis on one side, and the

outside
corners were supported by seperate wires back to the trellis or fence

mesh.

I see. This sounds like a good idea. I think I'll fashion something like
this for my cantaloupe vines.

Thanks,
Brigitte