Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM
dps

Default Sunflower seed now

EBG wrote:
Does "Autumn beauty" sound like a good one?

Anyone ever grow this?...

Autumn beauty, as I recall, is a multi-headed sunflower that reaches a
height of around 4-5 feet. The heads are a nice mix of colors, but not
very large (maybe 4-6" in diameter not including the petals). It's a
nice decorative sunflower, but not heavy on seeds. It should have plenty
of time to form heads with seeds if planted in the next couple of weeks.
You won't win any prizes for the largest head or tallest plant at your
county fair, but it didn't sound as if that was your intent anyway.

Your original post sounded as if you were interested in producing
birdseed. If I were you I would plant some sunflower birdseed along with
a mix of other varieties. You could see how the other varieties do (and
maybe try a few bouquets) and the birdseed would probably come from a
plant that was designed for birdseed production. Plant the other
varieties on the outside where you can get at them if the birdseed
varieties get too tall.