Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Frogleg

Default When are seeds ready?

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:05:40 -0400, Ron G wrote:

When can seeds produced by flowers or veggies be planted? For example,
my nasturtiums are producing seeds, marigolds producing seeds, cosmos,
etc. In the past I have always collected and let them dry over the
winter. But since a lot of things came on early this year I was just
wondering what the best practices are.

When the seeds drop out of the flower/pod/whatever, I'd suppose that
means they're "ready." I don't think any seed needs 'wait time' to
germinate, 'though some need a period of cold. My camellia tree always
produces a few seeds, so I looked up their needs -- 70-75F for a 1-2
month germination time! Just not possible just after the seeds have
appeared. However, I have several plants that grew from seeds dropped
on the ground.

Many annual flowers can be re-sown mid-season, if the season is long
enough. The one that sticks in my mind is Cosmos, which is on your
list. As long as you have lots of seeds, there's little to lose by
planting some of them now. Or yesterday. :-)