Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Jim Stone

Default [IBC] Leaf cutting

Other resons for leaf cutting:

Aesthetic: Prefer bare branch to burned up leaves due to TX heat.

Bud promotion: Additional light and air to stimulate future budding on
branches.

Balance of vigour: To promote vigor and growth in desired areas, allow other
areas to "rest". Reduce leaf sizes to do the same, similar to needle plucking
with pines...

Dormancy: Overall rest/decrease transpiration burden during hottest part of
summer in anticipation of fall growth spurt.

I've observed the same budding, or lack thereof, with partial leaf cutting.
Perhaps one reason is that there is less risk of a branch up and dying with
greater leaf matter and just maybe it'll pop somewhere other than the tip!

On developed trees I carefully snip, leaving the petiole. Trees in development
often get the two-finger strip treatment.

Jim Stone
TX

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++