Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ka30P

Default Skippy Filter

Meier wrote
I now have another question. Has anyone tried "Mosquito Dunks"

HREF="http://www.marchbiological.com/L/mosquito_control.html"http://www.m
archbiological.com/L/mosquito_control.html/A in their skippy
filter and/or pond. If so, any detrimental effect on the bacterial
filtering system? Would you advise not using them? I ask this
because we have covered our stock tank with a clear sheet of
plexiglass. Looking through the plexiglass we see tiny mosquitoes and
don't want to contribute to the West Nile problem in this area.

Mosquito dunks are fine for ponds and with West Nile in some communities you
can never be too 'safe' as some people will never believe a fish pond can be
without mosquitoes so you'll be safe from busybodies turning you in.
The larva or insects you are seeing under the plexiglass could be any number of
other insect larva as 5,000 different insects spend part or all of their lives
in water.

here is a good picture of mosquito larva
http://www.characin.com/carey/journa...-larva_800.jpg
The key to IDing them is that they must spend all their time at the surface in
order to breath which is why they like stagnant, fishless water. Others types
of larva have gills, usually at their hind ends, and don't have to hang out on
the surface.

kathy :-)
algae primer