Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Tyler Hopper

Default St. Augustine lawn potassium requirements

"Ralf G. Toennies" wrote in message
Yes, it is not nearly as lush as others even where we have good sun. In the
shade it is pathetic. We have neighbors that have grass in the shade that is
as healthy as ours is in the sun

Ralph, I lived in Houston for a long time and had several St. Aug. lawns. The
best thing I ever did for them was to dethatch it. Poke around and see if you
have a heavy layer of thatch.

If so you can rent a dethatcher or power rake. You will be absolutely amazed at
how much dead grass clipping will come up. Have a good leaf rake handy. ;-)

Also, don't buy one of those lawn mower blades advertised as a dethatcher.
Generally they will just have tines on the end and will rip up the sod.

Tyler

P.S. - Dethatching is typically done in cool weather. If you also want to top
dress afterwards go see the folks at Teas Nursery over in Bellaire. They sell
some excellent mixes.