Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Ravi

Default Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area

I live in Redondo Beach, California about two miles inland from the
ocean and in the Los Angeles area. About three or four weeks ago, I
planted Cape Honeysuckle along with some fuschsia and hibiscus to
attract hummingbirds. The strategy worked and I see them coming by
the plants and the window feeder.

The honeysuckle is shedding the batch of flowers that were present
when I got it from the nursery. The orange flower bodies fall off,
leaving the inner portion of the plant. Instead of new flowers coming
up, though, I see pods much like green beans. I assume that these are
the seeds through which the plant will propagate. New leaves appear
to be coming out; these are light green whereas the established leaves
are dark green, slightly glossy, and healthy-looking.

The question: Is the blooming season for this plant over already or
can I expect some more flowers over the summer? The hummingbirds
prefer the honeysuckle to the fuchsia and the hibiscus is only now
showing signs of flowering.

I water every two to three days, about 1/2 gallon into the berm around
the plant. The soil is moist; neither sopping nor dry. There are
slow-release fertilizer pellets around the base of the plant, as well.

My online research shows that plant care depends a lot on location,
hence the question to this group.

Thanks,

--- Ravi