Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
someone

Default inexpensive sources of high nitrogen

Frank Miles wrote in message
In article ,
someone wrote:

ooha wrote in message
.. .
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for

high
nitrogen application?

Grow comfrey, then chop the leaves and compost them in water as a

liquid
fertilizer. Smells like hell, though.

Comfrey flowers are great for attracting bees.

IIRC comfrey is illegal in some places -- due to invasiveness.

Eh??? Never! I've had comfrey growing for over 20 years both in my home
garden and on my allotment (UK). It's never been a problem. Maybe
you're describing a different variety of comfrey? Please post a URL if
you have information about invasive comfrey, I'd be very interested.

BTW, large comfrey leaves are useful for putting down on the bottom of
pots so the soil doesn't fall out :-). That's what I do.

s.