Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Ray

Default inexpensive sources of high nitrogen

"someone" wrote in message

Frank Miles wrote in message
In article ,
someone wrote:

ooha wrote in message
.. .
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for

high
nitrogen application?

Grow comfrey, then chop the leaves and compost them in water as a

liquid
fertilizer. Smells like hell, though.

Comfrey flowers are great for attracting bees.

IIRC comfrey is illegal in some places -- due to invasiveness.

Eh??? Never! I've had comfrey growing for over 20 years both in my

home
garden and on my allotment (UK). It's never been a problem. Maybe
you're describing a different variety of comfrey? Please post a URL

if
you have information about invasive comfrey, I'd be very interested.

A plant that gets along fine in one environment may be very invasive in
another. That is especially true if you are talking about two different
continents.

Examples abound. Kudzu and Water Hyassins are a big problem in Southern
USA, but not a big deal where they came from. There are many plants
that are local to me (central Michigan, USA) that are no big deal here,
but are causing big problems elsewhere.

Ray Drouillard