Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Heather

Default Streams or Screams?

Kate:

The photo is awesome! What a beautiful site!

Heather

"SVTKate" wrote in message
link.net...
HI Perry
I am new here too, and I do like the idea that you have there.
Something like a Dry creek, maybe with a little catch pond halfway up the
bank..?
Here is a shot of my 'pond' from my back porch....
http://www.kizthiz.com/pondview.jpg
I would like the stream to wind down in an S shape from the top to the
bottom

Hmm... food for thought! Thank You!
Kate

"Perry" wrote in message
. ..
| Hi Kate,
| (Greetings to all from a first time postee)
|
| Have you thought of just putting in a rill (man-made stream bed)? I've
seen
| pictures of rills where the small ditch is lined with loose fitting

brick
| and rock. Small catch basins of brick and rock are sometimes built in.
It
| doesn't require mortar or cement but still channels the rainwater faster
and
| better than dirt, and often old or used materials are used.
|
| Also, since the bricks are laid without mortar, rain water seeps below
them
| and makes excellent, wet, protected soil for water loving shrubs (fern,
| iris, daylilies, etc.)
|
| At the bottom, I think a lined catch basin to hold the water better

(about
| the size of big sink), or you might lay a pond liner under the dirt and
| create a bog garden. Then let frogs, tadpoles, and other wildlife move

in
| as they will.
|

| "SVTKate" wrote in message
| news | It's me again.
|
| Having too much time on ones hands to work out in the 'yard' makes the
| imagination run amok with ideas for making the whole place look like a
| wooded wonderland.
|
| Having the pocketbook of a retiree, makes one's imagination often come
| screaming, frustrated halt in nothing short.
|
| I have been looking at my place and thinking that I would like a

little
| stream. There is no natural running water but if it were to run from

up
by
| the house to the pond (call it 200 yards as a rough guess) it has an
| already
| natural pathway from where the rain runoff travels.
|
| If you do a stream, do you have to do filters and all of that?
| Are the pumps expensive to purchase and operate?
| What are the real ups and downs of manmade streams?
| Do you think it feasible with the distance I am dreaming of?
| Are they terribly involved to build or can you just dig a ditch, put
some
| rocks in to prevent erosion and turn it on?
|
| Thanks folks for hearing my stupid questions and not throwing me in

the