Old 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
William W. Plummer

Default Riding Lawn Mowers

Steveo wrote:

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

"Roll Tide" wrote:

If you spend more than $1350.00 you could be riding a Deere.

Yep, disposables are in that price range. 5-10 years depending on
care and application. Buy the one with the most engine and frame.

People are paying that much for 10 year old JD's around here. I bought
my 110 for $850 about 5 years ago and I think it was 15 years old when I
got it - but I have had a tie-rod end break - and I do have to change the
oil and put gas in.

I understand your point, but for an average consumer that cuts his acre
the mtd machines ain't bad for $1350 brand new. Like I said, it depends
a lot on the application and maintenance..biggest engine and frame in
that price range, if it was me on that budget.

Biggest is not best. I have about an acre to cut with lots of gardens
and trees. My Sears lawn tractor plus mowing deck is actually too big
and doesn't turn corners as easily as a real riding lawn mower which has
a zero-radius turn capability. Horsepower is an illusion, also. The
number has been going up but I swear the "18.5 hp" models I see now are
the same engine as my 17 year old "12.5 hp" model. Mine can to up hills
that are too steep for safety, so I don't need any more power. In fact,
I usually cut the power down to keep the noise low.