Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Melons

I'm into my third year growing melons.
1st year I grew three plants and produced one tasteless melon.Hardly a great
success (
2nd year just one plant produced two small melons (cricket ball sized) with
the most exquisite flavour. Hurrah!
This year I have grown four plants and followed the cultivation notes to the
letter. I have grown them as twin cordons and done the necessary
hand-fertilisation, pinching out two leaves past each fertilised female
flower. As soon as the fruits started to swell I have started daily feeding.
I now have a pair of fruits on each of the four plants, currently the
largest being the size of a CD in circumference. But the remaining
fertilised fruits on all four plants have stopped growing at "marble" size.

This is a huge improvemnt on the first two years, but the cultivation notes
say I should be able to get between 4 and 6 melons per plant. Has anyone any
idea what I need to do to keep the remaining fruits viable, or is it the
norm for the plant to support just two?