Old 10-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Dethatching Solution

"redclay" wrote in message
I have heard of a mixture of detergent, beer and I think ammonia that will
enhance the decomposition of thatch. Of course I have no idea where I

heard
about it or the recipe. First has anybody tried it and how did it work?
Secondly anybody got the recipe. I am planning to overseed and I do not
want to have to manually dethatch; gas powered units just tear up the

lawn,
I watched my neighbor destroy his yard with one. Afterwards he mentioned

rototiller could not have done a better job ripping up the old lawn.

Let's approach this logically. What exactly do you think is in this "recipe"
that will accelerate decomposition? If you were to apply it to say, a
compost pile, do you think that would accelerate the composting process?
Decomposition occurs when naturally occurring organisms in the compost or
soil process the organic matter. Certainly detergent and/or ammonia will not
encourage the development of these organisms; rather they will likely help
to destroy what organisms may be present.

Physical dethatching of lawns is recommended for good reason. Removal of the
build-up of thatch that can occur when a lawn is not well maintained will
allow water to penetrate to the turf roots and applied fertilizers to reach
their proper destination, as well as allowing sunlight and oxygen to
penetrate down to this root area, increasing photosynthesis and thus
creating a stronger and healthier lawn. If your neighbor's lawn was 'torn
up' by the dethatching process, it is likely that there was considerable
thatch build-up and very little viable lawn left.

If you plan on overseeding anyway, what difference will it make if your lawn
is 'torn up' during the dethatching process first? You have an opportunity
to top-dress with a thin layer of compost, apply the seed and a starter
fertilizer and give the new seeds a good chance to germinate as well as
allow what remains of the existing lawn a chance to breathe. And while
you're at it, I'd recommend you do core aerating as well. It doesn't pay in
the long run to take short cuts if you want a succcessful outcome.

And for the future, you might want to consider investing in a mulching
mower. Field studies have demonstrated that use of a mulching mower
significantly reduces thatch buildup and results in a healthier and stronger
lawn, less stressed by drought and requiring less chemical fertilizers.

pam - gardengal