Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Rod

Default Rooting hormones

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:44:51 +0100, "Douglas"
wrote:

In friendy spirit,
I have to disagree. Budding and grafting usually puts three scions on to one
rootstock and done properly they all prosper and form an acceptable show of
branches from which the usual bush develops.
It's a question of control and I can explain it better by saying that I have
many roses, but I can illustrate my thinking by saying that I have different
types of rose plants,.
1. Small hybrid T types.
2. Floribundas.
3. Ramblers.
4. Climbers.
5, Standards.
6. Tree Rose. A rose Tree about twelve feet high, on one bole (or trunk) and
a large spread of branches
which at the moment are ablaze with about a hundred large rose flowers.
All have been budded or grafted.
The point here is that the scions are attached at different heights, the HT
at about four inches up the rootstock, the standards at about a yard up and
the tree at 12 feet up on the top of the stock (bole or trunk).
By using simple cuttings you are restricted to only one style of rose bush
or tree.
Rootstocks also seem to ensure much vigour for a longer time, in my opinion,
if the pruning is carried out correctly.
Doug.

I take it you're budding these yourself Doug? AFAIK no commercial
nursery in the UK budss in the way you describe.
Standards = 3 buds at the height you want the head to develop.
Bush = One bud on the 'neck' of the rootstock as close as possible to
the ground.
Ramblers & Climbers likewise.
Tree Rose as you describe has to be a DIY job, no nurseries do them.
Choice of rootstocks needs more space than I can give here but it's
true some stocks suit certain soil types better than others. Lots of
other factors but it usually boils down to most nurseries using R.
'Laxa' for most production, others being kept for special purposes. In
our annual planting of around 1.25million stocks we always had around
20,000 R. canina for late budding because the sap continued to run a
bit longer. Some nurseries who supplied roses to us from Eastern
Scotland used a lot of R. multiflora.

Personally I like certain shrub roses and most species to be on their
own roots, only in that way are they able to show their true habit.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.