Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Jean B.

Default Color changes

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'm a newbie here, although I've been active in r.g.edible and
r.g.roses for some time. But since there isn't a
r.g.perennials, at least on my news server, this seemed like the
best group for my question.

We have a raised bulb bed, filled with "flower mix" soil from a
local soil/gravel/bark vendor. We've had it for several years.

The problem is this. My wife planted it in tulips, all
different kinds and colors. With the exception of a parrot
tulip or two, they all now produce yellow blooms. Healthy
plants, nice blooms, just not what we planted.

Over the last two years, we've gradually replaced the tulips
with lilies. Guess what? Same thing! We now have one red lily
and the rest are all yellow. Spreading like crazy, so they must
be nice and healthy as well.

I asked a local garden "expert" about this back when it was only
the tulips, and she said that cheap tulip bulbs would do that.
I wonder what she'd say about the lilies :-).

Anyone in this group have a clue what's causing our bulbs to
change their flower colors?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Can't answer you question, but thought I'd mention my related
experience. Several years ago, I spent lots of money on exotic
dark-colored tulips, ordering them from one of the more highly
touted mail-order companies. The next spring, when they came up
they were all yellow. :-(((((((((((((((((( I always wondered how
that could be.

--
Jean B.