Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Bill R

Default Color changes

Jean B. wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'm a newbie here, although I've been active in r.g.edible and
r.g.roses for some time. But since there isn't a r.g.perennials, at
least on my news server, this seemed like the best group for my question.

We have a raised bulb bed, filled with "flower mix" soil from a local
soil/gravel/bark vendor. We've had it for several years.

The problem is this. My wife planted it in tulips, all different
kinds and colors. With the exception of a parrot tulip or two, they
all now produce yellow blooms. Healthy plants, nice blooms, just not
what we planted.

Over the last two years, we've gradually replaced the tulips with
lilies. Guess what? Same thing! We now have one red lily and the
rest are all yellow. Spreading like crazy, so they must be nice and
healthy as well.

I asked a local garden "expert" about this back when it was only the
tulips, and she said that cheap tulip bulbs would do that. I wonder
what she'd say about the lilies :-).

Anyone in this group have a clue what's causing our bulbs to change
their flower colors?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Can't answer you question, but thought I'd mention my related
experience. Several years ago, I spent lots of money on exotic
dark-colored tulips, ordering them from one of the more highly touted
mail-order companies. The next spring, when they came up they were all
yellow. :-(((((((((((((((((( I always wondered how that could be.

It seems that mislabeling is becoming more of a problem
every year. I bought some very dark (almost black) Glads
(from a local dealer) and gave some of them to a neighbor.
All of our bulbs bloomed orange, very pretty, but not what
we expected.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850