Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Frogleg

Default Color changes

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:10:16 -0700, "gregpresley"
wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote

over time the stronger bulbs survive and the
rest die. In your case, the yellow ones won the battle of natural
selection.

I would agree with the survival of the fittest theory. In my area, tulips
are fairly reliable as long-lived perennials, some living for decades, which
I realize is not the case in many parts of the country. However, over time,
tulip beds will end up being yellow and red. The pinks, whites, purples,
and stripes, except for the orange black stripes, are either shorter lived,
or when they multiply making little bulblets, those bulblets are not
reliably the same color.

What they said. :-) Whether through hybrid reversion or plain ol'
hardiness, the more common and ordinary types will usually reproduce
more vigorously. I've never had tulips rebloom reliably, so get new
bulbs when I want tulips. I started with 1 bulb of a big yellow
'tiger' lily, and they've spread and reproduced all over the place.
Survival of the yellowest? :-)