Old 11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
steve

Default Yellow/green hyacinths: What is going on?

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
Hitherto, we have cheerfully offered our suggestions to people with yellow
plants. Now...

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green? We are open to suggestions.

Our hyacinths are looking yellow/green instead of their usual dark green and
they are not reproducing at their usual frantic rate.

The Ph, etc seems quite normal.

We have also had some plaster of paris dissolving to buffer.

We have tried adding potash (1 tbs/1000 gal) for the last 2 weeks without
any noticeable result.

We figured the fish would provide quite enough waste to nitrogenize the
plants.

Is it conceivable the plants are ahead of the fish for nitrogen?

We will pull a couple of hyacinths and put them in their own tub, with a bit
of fertilizer. If they green....

Any suggestions?

Jim

Well, you tried the Potash so that is not it. This happens to me too.
I think it is an iron deficiency I would add chelated iron from your
plant nursery store, it last three times longer than normal iron,
other wise smaller doses of normal iron for plants for a few days. Put
the iron in a bowl in your pond or right on top of some of your plants
because it stains cement and linings. Also it turns the water brownish
pink for a day or so an you may have to do a premature cleaning of
your filter. Another thing that I would do is go to Home Depot and get
a few Fruit Tree fertilizer spikes (their cheap), break um up and
throw them in, your plants will say thank you.