Old 11-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default used coffee and tea good for your garden

"Brock Bailey" wrote:

old used coffee and tea is good to put in your compost bin or in your
garden...

Works well for rhododendrons and azalea also:

Van Veen Nursery in Portland, Oregon, has been using coffee grinds from
Starbucks Coffee House for about 18 months. They have been very
satisfied with the results. 1) it helps to aerate their clay soil. 2)
slugs don't like to go through. (so you can see we have both mixed in
and put on top.) *It does help to make the soil more acidic. But it does
not replace fertilizer.

They suspect that by making the soil more acidic you are actually
helping the uptake of magnesium. This in turn helps iron uptake and that
helps to make the plant green. So really you are starting a process not
fertilizing. Combine the coffee with horse mature and organic mulch and
watch the amount of fertilizer you use decrease dramatically. As for how
we apply it, when the plant is dry and just before it rains we sprinkle
it on and around. The rain takes it from there. Otherwise we incorporate
into the new beds. No exact rate just cover the top and work it in.
(courtesy of Vicki at Van Veen Nursery)

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman