Old 11-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ralf G. Toennies

Default St. Augustine lawn potassium requirements

The bag does not have application rates. It does say that the buyer should
write a letter to the manufacturer for application guidelines. I will do
that. But, I just looked at the instructions for my soil test kit and they
have suggested application rates for each of the 3 components depending on
the test results. I am fairly confident that the low potassium is my problem
especially when I look at our grass this year (lots of rain) and compare it
to my neighbors.
As far as the thatch possibility goes, I certainly do have a thin layer of
dead grass under the green foliage but they appear to be clippings. If I
grab a pinch they come up without any roots attached. If I look for thatch
in the other areas of the lawn where the grass is healthier and the
Potassium is more normal), I see yellowish grass beneath the green and maybe
that is a normal level of thatch. The other complicating factor is that the
poorer looking (and low potassium) areas are for the most part heavily
shaded. But, even in the lighter shade parts of these areas, the grass looks
bad.
"escapee" wrote in message
You are going to put down a very high level of K and that is not such a

great
thing for the soil. I"m sure it will say on the bag when and how much to

use.

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:01:40 -0500, "Ralf G. Toennies"

opined:

Yes, it is not nearly as lush as others even where we have good sun. In

the
shade it is pathetic. We have neighbors that have grass in the shade that

is
as healthy as ours is in the sun
"Matt" wrote in message
Is your lawn showing signs of a problem?

"Ralf G. Toennies" wrote in message
I have a lawn in the Houston Texas area and the soil consistently

tests
very
low in Potassium. I bought some 0-0-60 fertilizer and I am wondering

when
should use it and how much. Also, why would I have such a problem in

the
first place?