Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Pete

Default Great ruin - hope to re-develope

Hi David
Good luck with his Lordship.
I'd like to bet he wants top money for it ...though I'd also bet he doesn't
know where it is till his "agent" tells him he owns it.
Sometimes these parcels of land are in some old family trust started waaay
back.

We often see old farmhouses which have just been abandoned, and I fantasize
about how they'd make a great home ... sometimes the land has been bought by
another farmer or maybe the parents lived there and the kids have grown and
live in another house on the property somewhere, so they let Mum's old place
just dissolve back into the earth .... such a shame sometimes ... huge thick
stone walls perfect for passive control over the temperature inside, not
like our modern day "boxes".

I see Lord Stafford is the patron ??(is that the right term) of the Lord
Stafford awards, given for innovation and collaboration between business and
Uni's ...maybe he's forward thinking enough to look favourably on a
permaculture community ...as long as it doesn't encroach on his "pheasant
shooting woods"

Best of luck with it.

"Sirius631" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let yuo know about a rural plot that I'm investigating.
Hopefully I can buy it and build an environmentally friendly house on it,

with
enough space to grow significantly more of my own food.

I had seen this ruin for many years, on my way to work, just to the north

east
of junction 4 on the M54 in Shropshire, England. It has fallen into

greater
delapidation in recent times, having only the two end walls remaining

standing.
My initial investigations yielded nothing, but recently I enquired at a

nearby
farm and, as it turns out, all the land around is owned by Lord Stafford.

I now
have a 'phone number for his land agent, whom I intend to call on Monday,

see if they are open to offers.

If I can buy the plot, I would demolish the ruin and use the bricks to

form a
solid core to a glass atrium/straw bale house. The plot is only 1 mile

away
from work, as opposed to 25 and, when complete I'd sell the car and cycle

work. Then again, I hate work.

Maybe I could interest others to join me in forming a mini permaculture
community

David Lloyd
So open-minded - my brains dribbled out.