Old 11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Curly Sue

Default Cats and Catnip

On 11 Jul 2004 19:51:55 GMT, Ol' Duffer wrote:

Planted a short row of catnip in the new grape arbor this year,
figuring our cat would enjoy it. After reading the planting
suggestions on the package, I thought I would try for an extra
good stand and bought three packages instead of one.

Germinated well, and when the sprouts looked big enough to fend
for themselves, I showed Fluffy where it was. She was suitably
greatful, however...

It is now apparent that I underestimated her ability and persistance
in grazing the little plants nearly flush with the ground. Moreover,
she has now determined that directly on top of the poor things is a
great place for a morning nap. And afternoon. And evening.

I guess I don't mind, as I planted the stuff mostly for her to
enjoy, but it is unclear whether any of it will survive long enough
to naturalize. I think I'm going to have to make a stronger run at
it next year. Maybe three rows with ten seed packs, about an order
of magnitude more than one might think reasonable.

My cats are indoor cats but your experience is precisely why I avoided
catnip in my garden. I'd have every stray cat in the neighborhood in
my backyard! I'm surprized you don't have "guests."

Sue(tm)