Old 11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Jim Carlock

Default Advice on starting chives up ?

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:
Jim Thomas wrote:
"Jim Carlock" wrote:

Any advice on how to get chives started ?

I just bought a plant, stuck it in a pot, and watered it. Here in So
California, they become perennials if you keep them close to the house
in winter (in case a freeze comes).

Perennial even if it does freeze. Mine do fine in pots down to 12F.
I think they can go much lower in the ground. As to get them
started from seeds, put the seeds in dirt. Chives are about the
easiest thing there is. They like it a little on the damp side and
richer soil is better but it's hard to not make them grow.

I must have gotten a really bad bunch of chive seed from Walmart.
Wonder if I should take them back to get my 10 cents back ?

I think it's just a bad set of seeds. I'll have to run to Home Depot
to see if they still have chive seeds for sale. The Ferry Morse corn
seeds I bought in April from Home Depot sprouted 100%. No
failures with those. I was very impressed. Corn loves the sun.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.