Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Larry

Default kohler engine igniition unit question

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
I have a craftsman lawn tractor with an 18HP Kohler twin, model M18S.
Twice now it has failed to start due to no spark. By the time I fiddle
with ignition switch and safety switch to see if something is not making
contact, it mysteriously starts. I would say in my experience with other
small engines the spark intensity looks weak.

Another thought I'll pass on:
Since you suggested 'weak spark', I'd look at the high-tension side of the
ignition itself.

Had you said 'strong, intermittent spark', I'd look at the safety switches
(neutral, weight on seat, and blade disengage switches) and the primary (low
voltage) side of the ignition including battery, connections, ground, etc.