Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
nswong

Default Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden?

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message

I don't think it is a matter of what is 'correct' but what is the

best
solution to a given problem.

I'm agree with you that there is no single way for every

situation.

But 'correct' here I'm refer to the claim are true to the fact.

No matter how correct your facts are, if they aren't applicable,

then it
does not matter if they are true or not.

There is too much of alternative ways to do a work. I don't think I
can test all of them to find out which are the most applicable, what I
do are choose some of them that look like promising, and I need the
"correct facts" to pick those I'm going to test.

I'm also not an expert to say for sure, but
for your operation, extensive mulch seems a better idea, and more
practical.

This still need another few years to test it out when some new

need
come in. Maybe by the time another alternative fit better than

mulch.
I'm also looking at live mulch(ground cover) now.

At this point I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I'm refer to operation on my land. It's a small one, but the ways I
test on it are what I will do when on a large land. It will take a few
years to test before I really go to large scale.

For a flower bed that needs to be visually appealing, I think it is
important to put amendments under the mulch.

I agree with you, "for a flower bed".

The problems I have with groundcovers (such a creeping
groundcover), aside from ignorance and cheapness, is there is a

potential
to create a diverse microcosm in your flower bed. So in addition to
'soil critters' you have created another layer of habitat for

whatever
insects or animals that move in and the other plants you have

(barring
any symbiosis) will have to compete with the groundcover. If you

don't
know what you are doing, there is the potential for many problems,

hence
the need for 'people who can garden their way out of a bank vault'.

I agree. For a normal gardenner, it's not worth the effort of choosing
the right groundcover. But for a bigger operation, a right
groundcover do help to save cost.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m