Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Floating scum?

Yes, Kathy . . . your political joke was very bad...... very good!

I've had the UV for 3 of the 4 years now, so don't think the "dead algae"
theory is the problem, but it's a good guess because I do believe the scum
IS dead algae. But not sure why so much of it THIS year, and this late into
the season. The UV is located after my skimmer but before my mechanical
filtration.

Here's a theory I came up with a while ago..... this year is the first time
I've used "koi clay", and I've read that that aids in killing string algae.
So maybe my floating scum is dead string algae letting loose?
Sue
"Ka30P" wrote in message

You sure this isn't a political thread ;-)
It is a political year after all... bad kathy.

From what I've read over the years, and not
having a UV but paying attention to the UV users, I'm wondering if it is

dead
algae from the light. Or have you had the UV light all along?
Where is your UV light in the general scheme of things? Before or after

the
mechanical part of your bio filter?
Having asked all that I'll let the UV folks jump in here.

kathy :-)
algae primer