Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Buzzy

Default Cats and Catnip

Ol' Duffer wrote:
Planted a short row of catnip in the new grape arbor this year,
figuring our cat would enjoy it. After reading the planting
suggestions on the package, I thought I would try for an extra
good stand and bought three packages instead of one.

Germinated well, and when the sprouts looked big enough to fend
for themselves, I showed Fluffy where it was. She was suitably
greatful, however...

It is now apparent that I underestimated her ability and persistance
in grazing the little plants nearly flush with the ground. Moreover,
she has now determined that directly on top of the poor things is a
great place for a morning nap. And afternoon. And evening.

I guess I don't mind, as I planted the stuff mostly for her to
enjoy, but it is unclear whether any of it will survive long enough
to naturalize. I think I'm going to have to make a stronger run at
it next year. Maybe three rows with ten seed packs, about an order
of magnitude more than one might think reasonable.

I've made a nice cage with left over fencing and wood to grow mine in.
It's aprox. 3' tall, 3' wide and 2' deep. My cats are also indoor cats
but I let it get a nice size then cut it down, dry it and grind it. I
usually get three 'crops' a year and yes, the ferals do pay a visit once
in a while and nibble on the shoots that make it out of the fencing
around the frame. I even found one laying on top of the cage one morning
looking totally stoned, pawing into the cage to get at the plant! What a
riot!

Cheers!
Buzzy

--