Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Richard

Default A horticultural problem of huge proportions

escapee wrote in
:

Is this the same thing as oak wilt? If so, we have it rampant in
parts of Texas. It's very serious, but there are some native oaks
which are resistant. Live oak seems to be the worst hit in our region.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/pe...st/sodeast.htm

According to the USDA oak wilt is a different, albeit just as serious,
disease. They also state that the Texas live oak is very susceptible to
oak wilt. Oak wilt doesn't produce the cankers and bleeding of SOD.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:44:47 -0400, "madgardener"
opined:

We're facing a horticultural problem of huge proportions here in
Tennessee and probably the eastern region. Thursday I arrived at
Lowes outside lawn and garden department to discover the State
Agricultural extension and region agent with another man with him.

When we had the head's up concerning Monrovia's having shipped Sudden
Oak Death fungus to other nurseries which was carried on Camelia's
and Rhoddies, I alerted people on another newsgroup because if this
western fungus gets over here, it will wipe out all our oaks
eventually. And think about how many kinds of oaks we have here, and
the fact that this fungus kills a tree in two years or shortly there
after..............solemn thoughts there.

Apparently it's worse than that. Bad enough that Monrovia is one of
the largest distributing nurseries in the US, but now Means Nursery in
Oregon has apparently been using compost which had shredded oak
bark..............yep. Shrubs and plants shipped from Means Nursery to
Lowes and other stores that purchse their stock have probably gotten
Sudden Oak Death fungus that is in the soil of Rhododendrums,
Azaela's, and Lilac's. Any shrubs that are sitting next to these
plants, particularly Viburnum's will also pick up the fungus and be
spread to those AND the oaks.

The state agent was at our store where he and his colleague were
taking plant and soil samples to ship off to the labs at UT
Agricultural department and the State agricultural department. They
had already done this to every Lowes in the area and were going to
EVERY Lowes that purchased these shrubs and such from this Nursery.

This is HUGE. We cannot afford to let this slip out and into
neighborhoods.
These fungus have potential to cross breed and that means apparently a
stronger and more deadly fungus that WILL wipe out our oaks.

I wanted to give ya'll a heads up. We have what remains of our stock
from Means as well as some other shrubs from a totally different
nursery here in Tennessee that were sitting next to the possibly
infected plants in the back under quarantine. I'll let you know in
two weeks the results.

madgardener in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a
friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html