Old 12-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Skirmishd

Default Cats and Catnip

*laugh* As a cat lover and owner of two 14 year old felines, I'm just
imagining that cat lying on top of the cage..

While living in a first floor apartment a few years ago, I once made the
mistake of planting catnip in a window box on my deck (had stairs down to
the yard), with several other herbs. The day after I planted it, my entire
window box was dug up, and the catnip plant was missing!

I'd like to plant some on the deck for my two indoor critters, but feel that
other felines would get into it before they would.

KD

"Buzzy" wrote in message
. ..
Ol' Duffer wrote:
Planted a short row of catnip in the new grape arbor this year,
figuring our cat would enjoy it. After reading the planting
suggestions on the package, I thought I would try for an extra
good stand and bought three packages instead of one.

Germinated well, and when the sprouts looked big enough to fend
for themselves, I showed Fluffy where it was. She was suitably
greatful, however...

It is now apparent that I underestimated her ability and persistance
in grazing the little plants nearly flush with the ground. Moreover,
she has now determined that directly on top of the poor things is a
great place for a morning nap. And afternoon. And evening.

I guess I don't mind, as I planted the stuff mostly for her to
enjoy, but it is unclear whether any of it will survive long enough
to naturalize. I think I'm going to have to make a stronger run at
it next year. Maybe three rows with ten seed packs, about an order
of magnitude more than one might think reasonable.

I've made a nice cage with left over fencing and wood to grow mine in.
It's aprox. 3' tall, 3' wide and 2' deep. My cats are also indoor cats
but I let it get a nice size then cut it down, dry it and grind it. I
usually get three 'crops' a year and yes, the ferals do pay a visit once
in a while and nibble on the shoots that make it out of the fencing
around the frame. I even found one laying on top of the cage one morning
looking totally stoned, pawing into the cage to get at the plant! What a
riot!

Cheers!
Buzzy

I rooted some cuttings from a friend in water (sorry, the friend wasn't in
water) and tried to grow them in a west window. The two grey rascals were all
over that. I tried different ways of deterring them like closing the shades,
but they still nipped the plants to nothing. I had bought them the catnip from
the store but they prefer the fresh stuff that my friend used to have. Sadly,
her plant died. I don't think there is a way for me to grow a catnip plant to
maturity. These cats love their drug of choice.-
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
Warning: This site contains MY
version of freeware! All are welcome!