Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Ashley Burns

Default shady ground covers

I like lamium for wetter areas. Or, if you can get some hosta growing in
between trees, it reproduces every year.

When I lived in zone 5b in Ohio, I had a HUGE stand of Royal Standard Hosta.
It was always an eye catcher with shiny leaves (very green and lush) and I
even divided it and sold large 1 gallon samples for a few dollars apiece
every year (at a block garage sale). Now I'm in California, where the soil
is sandy and rock hard, the sun is hot, and the soil is mucho acidic! (No
more hosta except in containers.) There's a pic at
http://www.millernursery.com/perenni...lStandard.htm. The only
secret is watering a lot the first year.

Good luck.

--Ashley Burns

"Jody" wrote in her message:

J. Caldwell,
I am in zone 6 (Near Philadelphia, PA). I figured since it was a woodland
site that gets filtered light I could plant. I did pick up some ground
covers and some perennials at the local nursery. I am going to put these

in
now and I was thinking of putting down a mulch that will decompose easily.
I do not have access to a rototill and use only organic products.
(Difficult task with the kinds of weeds that grow in woodland areas. The
vines seem to go on forever underground.) That does limit me in regards

herbicides. There are some natural products on the market that I am going
to try. Any suggestions on this would be of great value. I understand

that
mail order catalogs aren't shipping plants because the summer heat does

not
allow for safe shipping. Anyway, thanks for your response and advice.
Sincerely,
Jody
"J.Caldwell" wrote in message
It depends Jody. You haven't mentioned what planting zone your in, etc.

But
as a general rule, planting ground cover seeds in mid summer doesn't

sound
very productive. The reasons why the mail order companies aren't

shipping
those kind of plants now is because it's not a good time to do so. That
shouldn't deter you from pulling out all the weeds, herbaciding two

weeks
later for sprout eradication, than roto-tilling and amending the soil in
preparation for fall. It will keep you busy.
"Jody" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a wooded area that I want to replace the weeds with attractive
groundcovers. I have fresh dirt and need to plant. Would planting

from
seed take too long? I am having a hard time finding the plants. Most

mail
order companies won't ship until the fall and I can't really wait that

long.
I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.
Jody