Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Pete

Default The food forest

Hi Fran
Not sure what the rainfall is around Gawler, it would be better than our
measly 10 inch/year but it wouldn't be a lot better ... I would guess it
would be in the 500 - 600 mm per year bracket (just a guess though) the
Gawler ranges seem to influence the weather around there.

The soils around there are possibly richer than most areas of the Adelaide
plains I believe that area was part of the Gawler river floodplains many
years ago so there would be some pretty decent soils around ...as there are
in Virginia (big horticultural area) just to the NE.which is also a
floodplain ... and now has the added "magic water" from Adelaide's sewerage
treatment plant pumped into the area.

I seem to remember an article in grass roots about the food forest ..some
years ago... I'll see if I can find which edition ...cos I just know you'd
have it lying around :-)

Wouldn't it be great to be able to run a whole farm on permaculture
principles?

"Fran" wrote in message
"Pete" wrote in message

there's a great place near us (the food forest
http://www.users.bigpond.com/brookman/ )

Wow. At Gawler? What is the soil like round there normally Pete? And

what
sort of rainfall?

Gotta go and read this site so will do more responses to other posts

later.
Hooroo!