Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default A horticultural problem of huge proportions

Ann said:

"madgardener" expounded:

When we had the head's up concerning Monrovia's having shipped Sudden Oak
Death fungus to other nurseries which was carried on Camelia's and
Rhoddies, I alerted people on another newsgroup because if this western
fungus gets over here, it will wipe out all our oaks eventually. And think
about how many kinds of oaks we have here, and the fact that this fungus
kills a tree in two years or shortly there after..............solemn
thoughts there.

David Brockman posted about this back in March, but then the story was
out of San Fransisco, I think. Here's the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../03/11/BAGL55I

F011.D
TL

Hope the link works. That'd be horrible up here, we're already losing
our gorgeous hemlocks, the woods I walk through don't look the same,
the hemlocks are so thin (and dying). Now the oaks. Things move too
fast nowadays, organisms and critters have easy routes to where they
can devastate new regions. How sad.....and it's sad to say that
gardening and landscaping causes most of the problems.

The emerald ash borer has been just devestating here in SE Michigan.
Dead ash trees everywhere. One whole genus of trees GONE.

And now, the threat of even more bad news.

(attributed to Don Marti)